Sunday 30 June 2013

45. Illusion

SATURDAY:


This one was fun to do - a lot of measuring and straight lines. I think I frustrated my art teacher in Sixth Form at school with my tendency to be very restrained and precise in my work, but there is something in it, although I'm also drawn to freer, more spontaneous styles too. This optical illusion is incredibly clever: I found out while looking for a reference picture that it's created by means of a distorted room called an Ames room, though from photographs you'd never be able to tell that there's anything odd about the space just by the way it appears when empty.    


This one was also fun to do, though for a different reason! When the new season of Arrested Development came out recently it seemed like almost everyone I know was excited, while Tom and I knew almost nothing about it. So our friend Caroline lent us the first season on DVD and, though it took me a little while to get into it, now I'm hooked! I particularly like Gob with all his swagger, and he's got some of the best lines. 

Michael: So this is the magic trick, huh? 
Gob: Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money... 
[sees children watching his magic] 
Gob: ...or cocaine! 


Thanks, IMDb, for the quote magic! 

No comments:

Post a Comment