Sunday 30 June 2013

43. Dying

I mentioned in my previous post that I've been making up for missed entries, and the volume of those has been high recently: it's now Monday and these Post-It notes were supposed to be for last Thursday. However, though I am writing up the comments today, yesterday was actually the busier day in terms of Post-It productivity, since I had to catch up on the entries for Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. That's right: 7 Post-It notes in one day. A whole week's worth. It was a lot of fun, and I had a great time with my boyfriend keeping me company, but it was a lot of work too! Still, though I'm not proud that I let them pile up like that, I am happy that I managed to get them all uploaded last night, even if at 3am I decided to postpone the writing until now. So, here goes:

THURSDAY: 


The theme for this one was a tough one - I didn't want to do anything too sad or trite. In the end, I decided to go with a wilting flower. Flowers have such short lifespans, but even when they die they're so beautiful, and they return to the ground so quickly and start the cycle anew. Trite, you say? Maybe, but it's still true. 



In another attempt to take a positive approach, I decided to draw Daniel Jackson from Stargate SG-1. ***Spoiler alert:*** it apparently became such a significant running joke that the character died or got killed so often (even on a show where all of the main characters had been killed off multiple times in various parallel universes, alternate realities, virtual realities, dreams, simulations etc.), that it was actually meta-referenced in a later episode of the series. Daniel was maybe my favourite character* so it was sad watching him die in the series, but it was also uplifting to think that there might be something more to death in its various guises and that he might still be out there. The reference photo is here: I think I could definitely have taken much more care over the initial groundwork in order to capture the likeness more, but doing this brought back to me just how much I loved the series, and now I'm stoked to watch it all again!


*He's a talented, multilingual, awkward, nerdy, enthusiastic, occasionally sarcastic anthropologist with a quizzical stare and twitchy eyebrows, who seems to attract bad (and good) women and enemy fire in equal measure, but still manages to emerge the hero. What's not to love? (Though admittedly playing favourites is a hard call on a show that good.) Also, he's so cute. Also, and big surprise here, his arms. Did not see that coming. I'm going to stop now - there are too many pictures and I am as shallow as a very small puddle on very flat ground after not very much rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment