Sunday 23 June 2013

38. Abandoned

As well as being late to do some of the Post-It notes, I've also recently got into the habit of uploading pictures in a rush and then not actually writing the text of the posts until later. Guilty on both points this time. These Post-It notes were supposed to be Saturday's, I actually did them on Sunday and uploaded them then, and now it's Tuesday and I'm just now writing this.


This theme was interesting - so many possibilities! I couldn't get over this idea of the baby abandoned in the handbag from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest (let me just get my confession out of the way and reveal that I've only ever seen the film and not the play, and have actually never read anything by him - a travesty which I hope to remedy soon). The handbag would have had to be a real beast of a bag, maybe sort of like Mary Poppins', which itself is basically like the TARDIS - bigger on the inside and probably just as capable of interdimensional travel too. Anyway, I love the story, though it's sad to think of how happy it is in juxtaposition with how sad Wilde's life became. 


This image doesn't strictly convey the idea of something being 'abandoned'; more like something 'imminently to be abandoned'. This is an illustration of the point in the first Pirates of the Caribbean film where a rowboat ends up facing off against a ship (can't remember exactly which one) as Captain Jack steals the HMS Interceptor. I drew it from memory because I was too lazy to look it up, though my subsequent uncertainty over exactly what happened in that scene and looking at the ship's appearance and proportions, I think I could really have done with some more research and a reference picture: it looks like the ship is riding on the back of a whale and that's what the officer is so worried about!

No comments:

Post a Comment