Tuesday 25 June 2013

39. Dreams

Another late one, another forfeit, another haunting refrain in the night... Well. Two of the above!



This illustration did use a reference photo, from what may be one of my favourite films of all time, at least so far. I think David Lynch is amazing and this film, Blue Velvet, and Dean Stockwell's rendition of In Dreams both have a special place in my heart: my boyfriend gave me his DVD of the film not too long ago and I think I must have watched it about 3 times within about a week or so. Now, having seen Twin Peaks, Dune, and Mulholland Drive, I'm a total Lynch convert.* I'm quite happy with how it turned out, since I think it's such a great scene and wanted to try and do it justice in come small (yellow, square) way. 


This was quite a quick one, which may explain why it's a bit crooked! It's based on the Paradox Stairs (actually called the Penrose stairs or Penrose steps) in Inception: an impossibility in the real world, but something that can exist in the film's malleable dream-reality. I made an initial sketch that was more equilateral, but I forgot to take into account the different levels of the steps and winged it, leading to some inaccuracy. I think I could have got away with another step on the top left since I've just realised that the number isn't equal on each side, but all in all I'm pretty happy with how plausible it looks!


*I initially wrote 'I'm a total convent', but if you heard some of the things I say in casual conversation, you'd know for sure that that's definitely not true.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, Escher-esque . . . I like it!

    Tom

    xxx

    ReplyDelete