Tuesday 4 June 2013

20. Fortitude


A few of my friends know I've taken up skating, in the roller derby sense, and as fun as it is, it is also pretty tough. I fell over three times this week*; twice on my ass, which, for the uninitiated out there, is definitely one to avoid! What we're being taught it that no matter how embarrassing it is, or how much your ass, shoulder, or knees hurt, you've got to keep getting up, and keep skating.** It's a good lesson for life, even though its knocks are sometimes a hell of a lot harder than crash-landing on a derby track (though that can be pretty awful too). I guess that when we fall and can still get up we shouldn't worry about the embarrassment so much and just be more grateful that we're up again.


*But zero times last week, before anyone gets antsy! Maybe it was just due...
**Unless you're actually seriously injured, that is. No-one wants to be scraping you off the floor with a bread knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment