Thursday 23 May 2013

8. Innocence


Another luggage label this time, because I thought it might suit the composition well. I was a bit lazy with this one, but I'm still happy with how it turned out.

I admit that it looks a bit risque (incidentally, this is not how I think dresses should typically look!) but I think that innocence is often only apparent, concealing something far more knowing and canny beneath, and that a lot of us find that kind of dichotomy (not so) secretly quite appealing. The first thing I thought of in connection with the theme was Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita, which highlights the pitfalls of making assumptions about naivete and guile based on accepted social models. It's also so beautifully written that it's possible to almost completely forget you should be shocked and horrified at the seduction being described. Is anybody innocent?

No comments:

Post a Comment